JOSEF is a Jewish boy living in 1930s Nazi Germany. With the threat of concentration camps looming, he and his family board a ship bound for the other side of the world . . .
ISABEL is a Cuban girl in 1994. With riots and unrest plaguing her country, she and her family set out on a raft, hoping to find safety in America . . .
MAHMOUD is a Syrian boy in 2015. With his homeland torn apart by violence and destruction, he and his family begin a long trek toward Europe . . .
All three kids go on harrowing journeys in search of refuge. All will face unimaginable dangers -- from drownings to bombings to betrayals. But there is always the hope of tomorrow. And although Josef, Isabel, and Mahmoud are separated by continents and decades, shocking connections will tie their stories together in the end.
This action-packed novel tackles topics both timely and timeless: courage, survival, and the quest for home.
Monday, April 5- Book Club - 6th-8th grade
- Book club will be held on Zoom until further notice. You will receive a link when you register.
- Please make sure that your kiddo reads the book before our book club meeting. We encourage kids to read with a pen/highlighter in hand and underline or highlight any passages that they like or find interesting or confusing.
- Encourage your kids to keep a list of any new vocabulary words and take the time to look them up.
- Have your reader write two questions before the group meeting and have them bring those questions to our meeting.
- Bring your copy of the book to our book club meeting so that each participant will be able to refer to the text during our discussion.