Bestselling author Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot.
Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings by Ellen Forney that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he was destined to live.
Monday, January 11- Book Club - 6th-8th grade
- Book club will be held on Zoom until further notice. You will receive a link when you register.
- Please make sure that your kiddo reads the book before our book club meeting. We encourage kids to read with a pen/highlighter in hand and underline or highlight any passages that they like or find interesting or confusing.
- Encourage your kids to keep a list of any new vocabulary words and take the time to look them up.
- Have your reader write two questions before the group meeting and have them bring those questions to our meeting.
- Bring your copy of the book to our book club meeting so that each participant will be able to refer to the text during our discussion.