Book Club - Mon May 18
Sixteen-year-old Steve Harmon is on trial for murder. A Harlem drugstore owner was shot and killed in his store, and the word is that Steve served as the lookout.
Guilty or innocent, Steve becomes a pawn in the hands of "the system," cluttered with cynical authority figures and unscrupulous inmates, who will turn in anyone to shorten their own sentences. For the first time, Steve is forced to think about who he is as he faces prison, where he may spend all the tomorrows of his life.
As a way of coping with the horrific events that entangle him, Steve, an amateur filmmaker, decides to transcribe his trial into a script, just like in the movies. He writes it all down, scene by scene, the story of how his whole life was turned around in an instant. But despite his efforts, reality is blurred and his vision obscured until he can no longer tell who he is or what is the truth. This compelling novel is Walter Dean Myers's writing at its best.
2000 Coretta Scott King Honor Book, 2000 Michael L. Printz Award, 1999 National Book Award Finalist, 01 Heartland Award for Excellence in YA Lit Finalist, 00-01 Tayshas High School Reading List, and 00-01 Black-Eyed Susan Award Masterlist
2000 Best Books for Young Adults (ALA), Hornbook Fanfare 2000, Michael L. Printz Award 2000, 2000 Coretta Scott King Award Author Honor Book, 2000 Quick Picks for Young Adults (Recomm. Books for Reluctant Young Readers), and 2000 Best Books for Young Adults (ALA)
- Book club will be held in Playa Pelada at Casa Sonrisa - 300 meters southeast of Lagarta Lodge, on the upper road, lot A100.
- Please make sure that your kiddo reads the book before our meeting. We encourage kids to read with a pen/highlighter in hand and underline or highlight any passages that they like or find interesting or confusing.
- Encourage your kids to keep a list of any new vocabulary words and take the time to look them up.
- Have your reader write two questions before the group meeting and have them bring those questions to our meeting.
- Bring your copy of the book to our book club meeting so that each participant will be able to refer to the text during our discussion.
- Please drop your kiddos off five minutes prior to start time so that we will have ample time to discuss the book assigned for the week.
- We will provide light snacks and beverages. Please let me know about any allergies or food restrictions.
- Please be prompt for pickup!